8.19.2010

Uncharted Waters

So I inadvertently discovered a guy likes me. I don't like him back. And I have no clue what to do.

Basically, when I was moving into my apartment I got a call from a guy, B. He and his younger brother were throwing a back-to-school BBQ in two days, wanted to know if I could come. I told him I would, if I were in the state. I wasn't certain of my plans, but would let him know when I found out. I was kinda surprised to be invited. I mean, I've known these guys since I was 10, so I'm comfortable around them, but they're closer to my brother. So I figured I was just invited out of courtesy. I decided I'd go if it was convenient.

It was, so I went. I mingled and broke out of my shell a little bit. I made some witty comments and some awkward blunders, but I did what I set out to accomplish. B stuck by my side for a lot of the party. At first I thought he was just looking out for me. I only knew my brother and the two hosting the party, so I brushed it off as him just being a good host. But slowly it turned into instead of talking in a group it would be just he and I talking. And he wasn't being the loud funny B I knew. He also threw some playful physical contact into the mix. Nothing boundary testing, but I felt singled out. I'm just the sister of his racing buddy and a family friend. I get treated like a sister by both him and his brother. Racing groups tend to be familial like that.

I picked up on clues all night and had nailed it down by about 11pm. He was flirting, without a doubt. There was something going on that I wasn't previously aware of. My brother and I stick around until we're one of the last ones to leave and drive the 40ish minutes home, singing to epic music including CCR, Ke$ha and Brand New. Envy us. We get home about 1:30. Before 1:40, there's a text from B, asking if we made it home all right. I reply of course, thanks for checking. I get a fairly long text in reply explaining he was glad I could go to the party and hopes I had a good time and to let him know if I'm ever in town and want to hang out or if I want to chat just call.

And that's when I went, "Oh shit." B's a nice dude. Super funny. I'm fairly sure I've mentioned him before on this blog. But he's stuck on the friend ladder. Did not at all think for a second that was even in the cards. Ever. And it really sucks b/c I feel like I just got to a point where I could really start getting to know him, but now I can't without feeling like I'm leading him on. Which I'm fairly certain I would be. So I'm thinking I have two options. Ignore it and hope he stops liking me, or tell him and risk losing a friend. I know telling him would be the right thing, but I don't want to make things awkward in a friendship that finally just got off the ground. But that awkwardness will just be temporary, so it'll be worth it in the end. What do you guys think?

No comments: