8.16.2010

Roam Around the World

The B52s are not my type of music. You probably know them for Love Shack. My mom has their greatest hits collection and I laugh every time she plays Rock Lobster. The song makes absolutely no sense. I think the band was on drugs when they wrote most of their songs. But I really really love Roam.

It's my number one road trip song. Whenever I hear it, I think about all the places I want to go and who I want to go there with. It makes me nostalgic for the days I spent with my neighborhood friend, H, planning our trip to Disneyland for the weekend after our 16th birthdays (I was only 2 days older). It makes me excited to think about going on a trip with a certain group of friends. It makes me remember driving through an ice storm in Wyoming in the middle of the night. I turned off the radio (not that I would have been able to hear it anyway) and just softly sang this song over and over to keep myself calm.

If I actually went all the places I've made plans to go with people, I think my life would be a lot different. Possibly a lot fuller. I'd be able to remember Hawaii and the Grand Canyon. My love for Vancouver might be a bit more substantiated. I'd have been to Japan and Taiwan.

For the past two years, I have dreamed of taking a weekend ski trip to Colorado. Tell my professors that I'm sick and go skiing Friday, Saturday and a halfday on Sunday. It's so terribly convenient. Hop on 70 west until you see signs telling you to take a certain exit for a certain ski resort and, half an hour later, you're there. Done. I think the reason I haven't is the thought of a 14 hour drive by myself is a bit daunting. I'm going to really try and find someone to trick into coming along with me this year. XD Should be good fun.

I'm not sure why I'm so fixated on this weekend get-away. Has anyone ever done one? Was it successful?

1 comment:

Ben said...

LET'S DO IT! Seriously, I've really wanted to go on a weekend ski trip and go snow boarding or something, as long as you don't laugh at how much I suck :P. It's been...8 years since I've done anything remotely like that.