8.14.2010

My Fashion Sense is a Little Whack

I have noticed that I have an ever growing collection of solid color V-neck T-shirts in my closet. The lengths vary, depending on when I bought it and the trends at that particular time (and sometimes place). But they are all solid. They are all V-neck. Or polos. But those are V-neck and T-shirts, so I was including them.

Like my jeans. I'm finally switching it up a bit, but I used to wear just straight leg blue jeans. I now own a pair of black jeans, a pair of grey corduroy's (no clue how to wear those, help please!), and [collective gasp] a pair of skinny jeans. But for each of those, I have two pairs of straight leg blue jeans. And then some.

Or my shoes. Skate shoes. Vans, DC, Etnies. All colors, but they're all skate shoes. When they stopped making decent girl skate shoes, I turned to the guy styles. I've branched out, actually. I own Pumas. I know. Go me, right? Hold your applause.

I'm in college but I dress like a 12-year-old tomboy. I'm not quite sure what I'm missing here. I read the college fashion blogs. No seriously, I do. Stop laughing. Up until just a few months ago I got Seventeen and Teen Vogue. Stop laughing! I did all throughout high school. I go to Modcloth almost every day and just stare at the adorable finds. I pay attention to the trends, but when I try them on...I just feel foolish. Just the other day, I was downtown with a friend and we tried on those multi-colored kinda bubbly skirts that have been popular this summer. The ones with the big elastic bands that you tuck shirts into? Could not, for the life of me, figure out where I was supposed to let the thing be on me. Up at my waist made the skirt seem too short and my whole body out of proportion. At my hips was a tad too long and the torso was all weird then. Throw a flowy vest thing on top of it all and you just had a mess.

I'm not saying (nor thinking) there's anything wrong with how I dress. I always look cute and as put together as I'd like to be. My appearance doesn't make anyone back away in horror. But I look at the other kiddos on campus and I can see how dressing a little more, how shall I say, adult would be beneficial. Or just simply accessorizing. Wearing earrings every once in a while. I mean, I got my ears pierced before I was 10. You'd think wearing earrings would come naturally to me. Or a scarf. Scarves! Apparently they can totally pull an outfit together. And they're so easy! You just wrap it around your neck! But I always put the thin ones too loose and the fluffy ones too tight and they always end up looking wrong. I also think know I look adorable in fedoras and newsboy caps. But I own none. Why? It just doesn't seem suitable. Doesn't seem economical. It's a hat. You only wear it outside and it doesn't serve any purpose.

So maybe my fashion sense is a little whack. But I have two more years of college to figure it out. And after that, it'll be all work clothes so anything I wear normally is out anyway.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I love this! Probably because I'm right there with you. I'm still wearing the same things I wore in middle/high school, and I too pay attention to fashion trends (though I don't read the mags) and appreciate good clothing!
I guess I just love comfort and will always fall back on a tshirt with jeans and adidas sneakers :P

And when I get to work, I'll have a giant white lab coat covering everything I wear haha

Jezli H said...

Me too. Though I'd say SoCal is doing good work on me in terms of making me try on and buy things I wouldn't have dared wear even though they looked cute. I find the bubble skirts only work on girls who have no ass to hang out, lol. Otherwise it's just a huge mess trying to stay covered but still have a waist.

Hats are ridiculous and so useless in my opinion. Unless they're sunhats! I own two, and I am SO happy to have them during concerts/going to LA. Freaking Coachella was SO hot. I hate deserts!!!