7.29.2010

Webcomics

I read webcomics. There. I said it.

I've only admitted to reading webcomics to a few people. Only one of them also reads webcomics. The rest are 4chan-ers (if you don't know about it, it's where all internet memes come from and, no, you really don't want to go there, just wait until the memes become popular on the normal internetz), so I don't have anything to be ashamed of compared to them.

I'm not really sure how it happened. Nor do I remember what the first webcomic I read was. I'd been linked to xkcd plenty of times before, but I didn't follow it. I'd seen a few others (Penny Arcade comes to mind), but not much interest in them.

I think Sinfest is the only webcomic that's really stuck with me. It's been at least 4 years since I started following this webcomic and I've never gotten sick of it. There hasn't been a storyline that I didn't like. Despite the name, I assure you it's totally safe for work 100% of the time, and is really quite far from being sinful. It's completely adorable.

My current favorite is Girl Genius. It's heavily influenced by Steampunk and has a great storyline. The characters are hysterical. Well-written and well-drawn (do you know how difficult it is to find that combination?), this comic is so addicting that I devoured the archives in two days.

Surviving the World is such an entertaining concept. Even though it's not exactly what one would consider a conventional webcomic, it's a site I think is worthy of sharing. It's not always funny, but it's certainly always educational. We're learning how to survive the world, after all. There's also recitation on Fridays, where readers can submit questions for answering. It's a nice gesture and a way to get people interacting in a way that not many other webcomics do.

So there. I read webcomics. In addition to checking my blogs and news sties every morning over breakfast, I check these comics. Think you have a webcomic that I absolutely need to read? Let me know. And if you want more, I've got a list of about 10 more for you.

No comments: