7.21.2010

Just Shoot Me

I am a casual gamer. Casual. I don't actually own a system and I honest-to-God prefer to watch others play video games than play one myself. I keep up with the gaming world extremely well simply because it interests me. I can tell you almost anything you want to know about Natal/Kinect, but have no desire to understand the technology that makes it all possible. You may call me a poser. I'm just being me.

I have a friend who is very good at Smash. Any. She prefers to use a GC controller when playing on the Wii, but is perfectly happy without one. She does not venture too far beyond Smash. She's played a few Final Fantasy's and has a nearly unhealthy obsession with Link (and subsequently the Legend of Zelda games). She also kicks butt at Mario Kart. She has played Halo a few times, but does not much care for it, nor is she particularly good. Those who see her playing Smash might call her a serious gamer. She's just being her.

One thing we've noticed recently is how guys react when they learn you have an interest in video games. It starts with the "challenge face." The look that sizes you up and decides that if you lose whatever game they challenge you to, you're just a fake, but if you win, it's barely recognized. If you win (probably by luck, according to them) and are accepted into the group, that is all you are - part of the group. You are not a girl for dating. You are a gaming buddy. My experience is only slightly different because instead of accepting the challenge, I backpedal and say, honestly, that I am no good at games. This is often perceived as modesty.

I assure you it's not. I can barely keep a positive score on Smash, I just walk right off the edge. I'm lucky to get 3 kills in slayer, even if I've got the only plasma sword on the map. I tried playing Gears of War in co-op - couldn't figure out how to duck behind something and then get up and jump over it for AT LEAST 10 minutes. No freaking joke. Broke out the little handbook they give you and still couldn't get it. But because I have an interest, the skill is assumed. My friend doesn't care what system you have. She'd rather game on the N64 than check the amazing graphics in the latest Forza/Blur/Need for Speed game on your PS3. Even though she really enjoys Goldeneye, she didn't even care when I told her (weeks late, I might add) that they were remaking it. But because my friend has a skill, the interest is assumed.

I'm sure all gamer guys will say one of the things they want in a girl is to be themselves. Well, my friend is very frustrated because being herself is getting her stuck on the friend ladder. I'm not complaining for now. Give me half a year and I'm sure I'll be right with her. Being an average gamer girl doesn't work. We have to be Olivia Munn or Felicia Day to warrant some attention, some recognition. I guess what I'm asking is that gamer guys remember that gamer girls are girls, not just another one of the guys. Please. So my friend doesn't rant about this in another two months.

1 comment:

Jezli H said...

You know, traditional ladder theory says guys don't have a friends ladder. :P But obviously I prove that wrong everyday I'm alive so... here goes my response:

I think this only happens when you spend the majority of your time with them gaming. If this girl asked her SI (significant interest) out to non-post/pre-gaming dinner, studied with or just in general did a lot of one-on-one hanging out with her SI, the gaming wouldn't be a problem. If you spend all your time together in a group setting, especially gaming, it's generally not a good foundation for getting off the friends ladder. That being said you might be on the friends ladder anyway, but it won't be because of gaming.