3.31.2011

Lifelong Friends

I don't get this whole finding friends in college thing. I really don't. This is where you're supposed to make all the friends you'll invite to your wedding, right? I've made one friend I am certain I will invite to my wedding. Just one. After almost 3 full years. So where's the whole bridal party that I'm supposedly going to find in college? My mom's bridesmaids were her closest sorority sisters. And one high school friend. My high school friends talk about their group of college friends like they'll be lifelong friends and all be in each other's weddings and be important to each other forever. Bleh. I detest even thinking about being invited to a wedding of one of my peers, let alone the logistics of one I'm involved in. So let's be clear. I'm not saying I need to be all 27 Dresses about a bridal party, but I really feel like I'm missing out on a majorly important college experience with the lifelong friend thing here.

Straight up, I have 4 friends I would die for. I can't say that yet for anyone I've met in college. I can't point to my group of friends in college and say, "These are people I will stick with my whole life." All my other close friends, including those 4, have a group they can say that for. I can't figure out what it is that I'm missing. I've done all the right things. I've been friends with all my roommates. I've joined clubs and done sports, but no friends really came from that. I have groups of people I talk to in each of my majors/minors. I have groups I party with. I know people. But I'm not amazingly close to any of them.

Maybe I've just already made my lifelong friends. The people I know will stick by my side my whole life are people I met in (or prior to) high school. I'm not quite there yet with any of my college friends. I feel like I should be, especially with a few of them. Maybe the issue is that I have high standards for close friends. I'm easy to get to know, easy to call a friend, but it's a whole different story if I call you a close friend. Once you're a close friend, a lifelong friend, I have all these expectations that we'll stay in touch and that I can call you up when shit goes down and that there won't be limits to what we talk about.

I don't mind that my college friends aren't my lifelong friends, but I do want some of them to be. I guess it just takes a lot of time for me to get to that point with people. That's okay, I suppose, it just makes me feel like there's something wrong with me that I'm not there yet. I love my college friends, but I want to make sure I don't forget about them after graduation. There's not really a way to ensure that though is there?

No comments: