4.14.2010

And Moving On...

I feel like this blog could, for a while, turn into a "how I grieve" blog, and I don't want that, so think of this as a moving on post. That's not to say that I won't bring it up again, but it's going to be less obnoxious. Less about my grieving, and more about that of those around me. Mainly my roommates.

At any rate, I was thinking about how easily things can be misconstrued or misunderstood, especially with people you don't really know. Three things happened today and I feel like I just made everyone around me think I was a total...well, witch...just because they took something I said or did to mean something else.

One guy in my English class sent out an email, asking that we print his story instead of him printing them for us because his printing quota was out. A fair request, except my quota is running low as well and his story was 14 pages. Yeah, not going to happen bud. I told him so (the quota, not the other sentence) and gave him three options and asked which he preferred - I could print it out but squish everything together (possibly ruining the form it was in, so it's nice to ask), I could write my comments back to him just on the document and he could read them on his computer, or I could print out my comments on a separate sheet. He was griping in class that he only got two replies to the email he sent out. One suggested he go to the library and use the printing service there. The other was just rude and unhelpful and gave him a whole bunch of different options that he didn't want. The person was just trying to get out of printing the story. He didn't understand why the person even bothered to email him back. I sit two rows over from him and heard everything. It hurt. I was only trying to help, but had to do so under my constraints too.

The second thing happened on the bus. I was sitting sideways, taking up two seats on the earliest bus you can take. It's never crowded, and today wasn't any different. There were plenty of other empty two-seat benches for this person to use, but they must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed because I was glared at and called a seat hog. I only sat sideways because the bus was no where close to full and I needed to put my laptop on my lap and do some work. It's not like they didn't get a seat because of my hoggie-ness.

The third wasn't a comment. It was a look shared between two passing students then a laugh and a slight glare my direction. Maybe I had something on my face...but I hadn't eaten anything yet, so probably not. I don't have any holes in my jeans. Were they too tight, making me have a muffin top? I did a double check. No, they were fine. Is my shirt too low? Is my bra showing? Nope, nothing wrong. I didn't have any more popped zits than usual, and none popping up. What could they have gathered from the way I looked that deserved a glare? It had to be the low shirt. It's the only thing that could be construed as offensive.

I dunno, I'm probably just being overly sensitive (it's not that time though, damn it!). Do you guys have days like that though? Where it seems like communicating with people just isn't something you should do that day? I already experienced it the night before all this stuff happened, but that was none of my doing.

Fyi, next post will be that roommate post I mentioned earlier. I think I've observed enough to write about it objectively, not just...whiney. XD

2 comments:

Alaurei said...

Totally had that day today, haha! I think it was a bad day all around. Had issues with my roommate totally being rude and confrontational about something she didn't understand, nor did she take the time to even listen to my side of the matter [she didn't listen to me at all, haha]. And just other stuff where I was like, ugh, today is a long day. Hopefully both of us will have better days the rest of the week! :D

Jezli H said...

I usually don't have days like that because I am even more of a witch. Instead of feeling bad about things like this, I get angry at the people giving me crap. By the time I've talk myself out of giving them a piece of my mind, I've forgotten what they did to wrong me in the first place and it no longer matters.

I probably would have talked to the first guy though. Or at least flipped him off in my head. There's no reason to be hurt by assholes like that.