8.20.2009

Hitchhikers Guide to I-70

(written Monday evening)

I never know what to do when I see hitchhikers. Should I stop and pick them up, offer them a ride? Should I pass them by, writing them off as creepers and killers? I saw a guy, probably in his mid twenties, looking for a ride just outside of Indianapolis on I-70 heading west. He looked nice enough, fairly clean with only a backpack as far as luggage went. I slowed down to about 50 (speed limit 70, so you know I was going at least 75) for almost a mile, just wondering if I should stop and walk back to him and offer him a ride. I was going to St Louis, which is the next major city along I-70. It was the least I could do to help him on his way.

I ended up being honked at so I pulled into the slow lane and collected my thoughts. But for the next hour I could not stop thinking about this hitchhiker. Did he find a ride? Did he have a decent place to sleep? Where was he heading? Was he a killer or would he have had interesting stories to keep me entertained until my destination?

I’ll never know. I don’t pick up hitchhikers while driving alone.

No comments: