8.21.2009

Following the Rules

I don't remember what it felt like to go against the rules set out by my parents for me. I don't remember if it was fun or if I defied them often or what my punishments were. I do know what it is like to speed down a road, 20 or 30 miles over the speed limit and get away with it. The instant fear when you get caught and the adrenaline that pulses through your veins, causing you to shake uncontrollably at your boyfriend's townhome for 15 minutes after you get out of that ticket. I imagine going against the rules to be something like that.

I can't say I enjoyed how it felt, though it certainly was exciting. Maybe people like this, I suppose, otherwise they wouldn't break the law all the time.

I speak, of course, from experience.

My lovely apartmentmates have a habit of going against the law. From smoking to drinking, I have gotten used to their shenanigans and tolerate them to the best of my abilities. One thing I cannot stand, however, is when they put other people at risk.

Like before, when the apartment was one boy and three girls. An apartmentmate wanted another person to live with us and to have a dog. Both are against the lease so I had to say that it wouldn't happen. This person got very mad at me and eventually decided to leave the apartment. This drama was very long and drawn out and painful for me. I lost a friend over it and possibly got on the nerves of a current apartmentmate. But this troublemaker moved out and I thought the worst of my problems were over.

And now we have two illegal pets living in our apartment. One is a cat. A cat for crying out loud. They were grumpy about me even asking if I could have my five pound dwarf rabbit at the apartment, yet this girl (all living at the apartment now are girls so it doesn't tell you anything) thinks that they will allow her to have a cat and some sort of reptile. Reptile maybe. But they have to approve any and all pets. So...fat chance.

The problem I forsee is that she has already bought everything the cat would need. Food, litter box, extra litter, a blanket for it to sleep on. It has everything. And all these things are supposed to fit into her room which is already full to the brim. Yeah. Right. And what happens if the apartment says she can't keep it? she won't get rid of the cat, not after she bought all that crap. And her lizard? Well...we'll see. I've requested to go with her to the management to make sure these pets are allowed under the pretense that I want to see if I can bring my bunny. I think this is a good way to involve myself without making it seem like I'm taking the other side. I'm not, I just want us to live legally.

I just never expected it to be this difficult to accomplish.

I understand the appeal of not following the rules. I just don't understand why people are selfish enough that they must put their thrills above the safety and security of others. I want a place to live. Is that so much to ask?

No comments: