2.12.2011

V-day D-day

So I'm seeing someone. Yeah, it's going pretty awesomely. But here's the problem. It's almost that stupidly romantic commercial holiday that I've never really done anything for.

No, I take that back, I've done stuff for Valentine's Day. Just one. When I, a high school senior, went to my then boyfriend's college midweek with brownies and roses. That was fun. But the rules were a lot clearer then. We'd been dating for quite some time and had plans for a nice dinner the following weekend. That was also 3 Valentine's Days ago.

But this Valentine's Day? There's no guidelines. It's a reasonably new relationship and while we like each other a lot there's still a reasonable amount of distance between us. Sure, the guy would like brownies and roses, but driving 15 minutes is not the same as driving an hour. Even if it is a surprise. Besides, I've done that before. And I'm a bit less of a romantic than I was back in high school, so that sort of approach, even if done completely different, doesn't appeal to me anymore.

But it's Valentine's Day! I'm expected to do something! I feel like Valentine's Day is turning into my day or reckoning or something. I know I'm placing too much emphasis on this, it's not like it'll determine anything about the relationship or have any real effect but, damn it, it's the first holiday and it's the most stupidly romantic one and I'm allowed to stress a little, okay?