10.27.2010

Relationships in College: Part 3

I has come to my attention that people are doing something I find more than a little ridiculous these days. It's called "talking." It's not face to face talking and having conversations. Oh no, that would be far too simple. It's texting. It's a freaking text based relationship.

I think this might be worse than online relationships.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying never text your significant other or never Skype (I don't EVEN want to know about the dirty Skyping sessions. Recently learned that those existed too. EW) or never IM each other until 2am. No. Do all those things. Just freaking establish an official relationship first.

My roommate got involved with this guy she met almost 2 months ago. He came up to visit for a weekend and since then they've texted a lot. Never really talked on the phone. The guy doesn't have frequent access to internet, so they can't do the online thing. Just texting. But he'd text her "Good morning sunshine" frequently and the last thing she'd read before bed was "Love you, sweet dreams, can't wait to see you again," or something of the like. Now, I'm not one to judge for moving into a relationship so quickly - god knows I am certainly capable of falling faster than an anvil for a new guy - but there was no relationship. They were just texting. Oh, excuse me. They were just "talking."

Two options: read or watch. Or both! It's more fun to have options. =)



Talking?! Seriously?! What are we, middle schoolers? Isn't that what a middle school relationship should be? When you guys hold hands during passing periods and your groups eat lunch together and you text constantly? Am I right?! I feel like I'm going crazy for expecting a relationship in college to be an actual serious relationship with two people committed to each other with physical and emotional intimacy. Under the talking doctrine there's just...what? Fake intimacy? False commitment? Shit son, why don't you just say you're hooking up. Oh wait! You never see the guy. So you really are just talking then. But it's a relationship. Riiiiiight.

Please, someone explain this to me. I just don't get it. Even less than I understand the friends with benefits. I need to write about the random hook up. I haven't experienced it, but at least I understand that a little bit better.

3 comments:

Jezli H said...

I find that dudes actually think I'm rejecting them when I don't text them enough. Actually they might be right about that--I would probably be all too happy to respond if I were enamored enough.

Ashley said...

I feel like that's a general all-human thing though, not something specific to guys or girls.

Jezli H said...

Yeah but since when did they get all hurt-feely about it. It's so fucking annoying.